Thursday 29 September 2016

Meet W.D Frank as he chats to Sarah Jane Butfield about his writing & his new release #RPBP




http://smarturl.it/WDFrank

Hello and welcome, 
Today I would like to introduce you to a talented young author W.D. Frank, 'One to watch' as they say! W.D. Frank was kind enough to talk to me about himself, his writing and of course his new release Lucifer's Ladder.
Please support him by commenting and sharing this blog post.
Thanks for reading,
Sarah Jane


www.wdfrank.com
Author Bio

W.D. Frank is a surrealist author who has been a fan of the horror genre since he was four years old. His debut novel Lucifer's Ladder was inspired by his lifelong obsession with Japanese role playing games, anime, and David Lynch movies... as well as his desire to see a story centered around the 'bad guys.' W.D.'s ultimate dream is to seduce James Franco and use the actor's almighty stoner powers to create a world where babies aren't allowed in movie theaters. He is also an avid Pokemon fan and will ramble gleefully about Silent Hill or Final Fantasy as well any day of the week. If you have a problem with that, then by Valtiel's rapidly twitching head, run, rabbit, run!








Good morning and thank you for chatting with us today.
Let's get to know you a little better.

What were you like at school?
I was a nightmare for teachers and students alike. I was in a horrible place at the time, so I am saddened to say that I wasn't much fun to be around.

Were you good at English?
Oh, I have always excelled at reading and spelling. I was not educated in the ways of punctuation until much later, though. I had to drop out of middle school due to health issues.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I am sure that people will call me ridiculous, but I want to be known and understood. I have never had that. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I have been the subject of controversy ever since I could first speak. When I was a child, I was always the black sheep no matter where I went. I suppose I want things to be different for once. I realize that my writing is going to be controversial, but I at least want some people to see it and think to themselves, “You know, I get this guy. I like what he does.” I want to show the entire world what I can do and how much I have evolved. I want them to enjoy my fiction and think about the stories long after they have read the last page. I want to be remembered for something beautiful. I suppose that is what every writer wants, though.

Which writers inspire you?
I am not inspired by many novelists, to be honest. I don't know of any writers in the literary world who write the kind of stuff that I write. That being said, there are many writers I adore. I am especially fond of Robert E. Howard. My primary inspirations are Japanese role playing games such as Final Fantasy and David Lynch films. I love his surrealist style and the way he explores the minds of troubled characters through dreamlike imagery. When I watch films like Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive, I feel like I am really diving inside the mind of the protagonist. I feel like I am piecing together fragments of who they are with every seemingly absurd thing that I see. In that way, David Lynch inspired the hell out of me. While the Final Fantasy series inspired the concept of Lucifer's Ladder the most, David Lynch had a huge hand in helping me find my style of character exploration. I absolutely love that man and I would be honored if I ever have the chance to meet him.

I am a huge David Lynch fan and I know he is an inspiration to many.
So, what have you written?
I can't tell you about everything that I have written quite yet. I have some secrets to keep, but I can tell you about what has already been released. Lucifer's Ladder is the book that was most recently accepted by a publisher. It is a horror/dark fantasy novel about a narcissistic teenage sorcerer named Hugh Aaron who wakes up in a post apocalyptic wasteland to discover that he has been chosen as a candidate for godhood by a mysterious entity known simply as “The Elder.” Hugh also discovers that he has been tasked with liberating demonkind from Hell and killing the current God (Yahweh) along with his entire angelic army. Needless to say, Hugh is rather fond of the idea and makes it his mission to become God and reshape the world in his own image. He is a real bastard, but I love him. He is my boy!

Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
It isn't necessarily about what Hugh does that makes him special, but how he does it. Most of the angels swoop down with the expectation that they can just overpower him, but Hugh is more than capable of using his limited magical strength in a way that can take down even the mightiest of foes. Whether it is through simply exploiting a hole in their defense or using their own powers against them, Hugh refuses to become a victim of those who are more powerful than he is ever again.

What are you working on at the minute?
I am working on the sequel to Lucifer's Ladder! It is going to be incredibly badass.

What’s it about?
I can't give you too many details, but it is a continuation of the events that begin in Lucifer's Ladder and it explores the incredible impact that those events have.

What genre are your books?
I primarily write psychological horror and dark fantasy, but I have written a few crime stories as well.

When did you decide to become a writer?
I decided to become a writer the moment that I realized that I was never going to see the kind of story I wanted to write if I didn't write it myself.

Why do you write?
I write partially because it helps me stay sane and mostly because I like creating stories that I can be proud of.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
Boredom mostly. I realized that I wasn't ever going to see the sort of characters or story that I had been thinking about, so I finally wrote them down. However, I likely would have never done that if I had something that I thought would have been more entertaining at the time.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
I am hoping to make it a full time job, but right now it is part time.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I usually write at night. I am at my best in the darkness.

Do you write every day, 5 days a week or as and when?
I try to write every day, but sometimes I don't have the time. I write when I can.

Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
I try to write more than one thousand words per day.

Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
I write on my computer. I can't imagine writing with anything else.

Where do the your ideas come from?
I am honestly not sure most of the time. Sometimes the ideas are just there.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I usually like to have some idea of what kind of story I am writing and where everything is going to end up.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
Convincing myself to sit down and write. God, that can be so difficult sometimes. I enjoy writing, but I become distracted pretty easily. I constantly have to fight myself to get stuff done.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Probably facing the world when I was channelling so much pain and rage every single day. I snapped at a few people after I wrote a certain chapter because of how raw the emotion was and how stressed out those scenes made me feel.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
Creating characters is the easiest part for me. I can create entire identities in an instant as long as I am behind a keyboard.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
It usually takes me at least six months, but Lucifer's Ladder only took me three, I believe.

This book is part of a series, tell us a little about it?
Lucifer's Ladder is indeed a part of a series. It will be a trilogy focused on Hugh's war against those who conflict with his ideals and his blood-drenched struggle to achieve true paradise in a reality that will not easily allow it.

What are your thoughts on writing a book series.
I believe that each book in a series needs to end on a satisfying note that ties up most of the loose ends that are exclusive to that individual story. Obviously some unfinished puzzles need to be left that way until the series is ready for them to be resolved, but I think there is a difference between a satisfying cliffhanger and a cliffhanger that makes you think, “Wow! There wasn't nearly enough gratification here!”

Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors.
I read as much as I can. My favorite authors are probably Stephen King and Robert E. Howard. I also love Hideaki Sena and Koji Suzuki.

For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books?
I want to feel the real thing in my hands! I am glad that people who prefer owning things digitally can have it their way, but I personally love being able to hold what I am reading.

What book/s are you reading at present?
I am reading the Preacher comic series for the first time and I am hopefully going to start Dune sooner than later. I want to read that eventually.

Who edited your book and how did you select him/her?
A lovely woman by the name of Majanka Verstraete did the final edit for Lucifer's Ladder. Catherine Lenderi (my best friend) did some editing beforehand, though.

Who designed your book cover/s?
The cover artist for my publisher (Fear Front Publishing) did that. His name is Scott Deyett and he is excellent at what he does… as you can see for yourself.

Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Hell yes! Many people judge books by their covers. An alluring cover is absolutely necessary.

What is your favourite motivational phrase.
“It is not over until I say it is over.” It motivates me to remind myself that I am in control.

What is your favourite book and why?
Maybe Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena? I love the insane questions it brings up. Plus, it is just an excellent novel.

What is your favourite quote?
“Something smells fishy here and it ain't cod.” It is an actual line from Final Fantasy V. God, it is so beautifully horrible! It makes me laugh every time. Don't judge me!

What is your favourite film and why?
Gremlins. There are better and more thought-provoking films out there, but the reason that I love Gremlins so much is because it puts almost everything I love into a single movie. It has adorable creatures, dark comedy, violence, and mayhem. That film might as well have been made for me.

Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?
I try not to think about the future too much, but hopefully I am not mauled to death by zombies or something along those lines. That would suck.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
Hide your horror movies in a more secure location! Jeez!

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
I would love to meet David Lynch! He is my idol.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Just keep at it no matter how bad you think your writing is. Your writing style will improve gradually as you go along, I promise. Don't give up on your dreams. The only thing separating you from your idols is practice and a publishing deal.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
You can check out my website in the link below and follow me on Facebook or Twitter. (Preferably both) You can also check out my author page on Amazon. I hope all of you buy Lucifer's Ladder and visit my social media pages to chat with me about it. I would love to answer your questions and hear your thoughts on it. All of my fans mean the world to me and I smile every time I hear from them. I cannot wait to show everyone Lucifer's Ladder and I hope that you will join me on this admittedly ambitious journey that I am undertaking. W.D. Frank out!


Website: www.wdfrank.com
Book Links: 
Paperback: https://www.createspace.com/6601563

Thank you so much that was an awesome interview.
I would like to wish you every success in your writing career.

Readers and bloggers please share this post for WD Frank.

Thank you for reading,
Sarah Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment