Friday 25 March 2022

How #readers choose #books from new and established #authors - is it a conscious or subconscious decision?


How do you choose your next book?




Today’s question is: 

How do readers choose books from new and established authors?

Since starting my latest challenge 38 days ago, which was aimed at providing the motivation and focus needed to complete my current work in progress on a very precise schedule, I have started reading more books. 


This may appear counterproductive as my time should be spent writing, however, I justify this to myself in two ways. Firstly I believe that reading, especially across multiple genres, makes you a better writer. Secondly, for me, downtime away from my writing is important to prevent author overwhelm.

Is it a conscious or subconscious decision?

The desire to read more comes with the need for more books and it was in the pursuit of my latest batch of books that I started to ponder how I choose the books I want to read and is it always a conscious choice or am I influenced by subconscious stimuli. 



I started to look at the books I have read over the last 38 days and realised they have been a mixture of romance novels and new for me sports personality autobiographies. Those of you that know me will also know that I have no knowledge or interest in sport, which begs the question, what is it about these books that drew me in? After further consideration of these subconscious book choices, I discovered that my book choices reflected my desire to achieve my goals, to be the best that I can be as a parent, grandparent, family member, friend, writer, and book promoter. There are many sports personalities that have inspirational and motivational stories to share about how they overcame obstacles to achieve success in their given sport or how they coped with challenges caused by their success, physical or psychological factors. 

Let me know in the comments how you choose your books?

Is it preferred genres, favourite authors, characterisation, location, etc? Have you ever changed your reading habits and if so why?

As #the100daysproject continues, I am determined to carry on reading and writing. Who knows what I will be reading by day 100!








Get your FREE copy of The Accidental Author HERE


I love to interact with my followers and readers so feel free to connect on social media:

Twitter @SarahJanewrites 

Facebook - Author Sarah Jane Butfield

Instagram - sarah_jane_rukia.publishing









 Day 38 of #the100daysproject

1 comment:

  1. My favorite has always been Sidney Sheldon books. Love the stories and the twists.
    But saying that I love autobiographys too

    ReplyDelete